- Villa-Lobos in Paris: "Visiting Villa-Lobos at the Hotel Bedford in Paris in May 1958, we found ourselves in the presence of a man of typically Brazilian cordiality who knew at once how to set his companions at ease." - Pierre Vidal, from his notes to Villa-Lobos par lui-même.
- Inter-American Music Festival in Washington, where String Quartet #15 and Symphony #12 were premiered. The Julliard String Quartet concert at the Library of Congress & the NSO concerts are pictured below (from the Guillermo Espinosa collection at the Latin American Music Centre).
- Villa-Lobos in Hollywood - & see this post at The Villa-Lobos Magazine
- Villa-Lobos receives an honourary doctorate from New York University on Dec. 3rd - "5 Brazilians get honors at NYU", NY Times, Dec. 4, 1958, p. 17. His new work Bendita Sabedoria is played at the reception at Vanderbilt Hall.
[picture to the right] Villa-Lobos and Mindinha arrive in New York in 1958. A picture from the Museu Villa-Lobos (from the amazing TVCultura Villa-Lobos site).
- Death of Villa's close friend, the French composer Florent Schmitt
- Death of Ralph Vaughan Williams
- Brazil beats Sweden to win the World Cup
- The beginning of Bossa Nova
back to 1957 - Timeline Index - forward to 1959